Acne can be challenging and frustrating to deal with and something that many people put up with longer than they need to – simply because they might not be aware of treatment options that are available. There are so many more treatment option for acne than there used to be and we have experts that can help. So before you pick at that spot, here is everything you need to know about acne!
What causes acne?
Acne is the result of your pores becoming clogged with oil, dead skin cells and bacteria which creates the perfect environment for breakouts to occur. Breakouts can be provoked by several reasons – hormonal changes, environmental factors, genetics, and diet (to some degree).
Understanding what triggers your breakouts is the key to treating acne and getting back in control of your skin!
What are the different types of acne?
Acne comes in all shapes in sizes. To treat it effectively, it is important to understand what type of acne you have. This can be broken down into two main types – essentially, mild and severe.
Mild/Non-Inflammatory: Commonly known as blackheads and whiteheads. This type of acne are surface level blemishes.
Severe/Inflammatory: This type of acne occurs when bacteria has flourished inside the clogged pore. This results in uncomfortable symptoms such as swelling, tenderness and redness.
- Papules – Papules are raised, sensitive blemishes that are solid. They can be caused by irritants such as harsh exfoliation scrubs, heavy makeup and even fragrances.
- Pustules – This type of acne is usually inflamed and with a pus-filled centre due to infection. Pustules are more likely to occur in areas that are extra oily as it is easier for bacteria to grow.
- Cysts – Cysts are painful, swollen blemishes that occur very deep within the skin. They develop when a combination of bacteria, sebum and dead skin cells clog the pores. This type of acne is also known as cystic acne, and it is most common in teens and adults with hormonal imbalances.
Treatments to help treat acne:
- 10-Step Microdermabrasion: It targets your skin’s natural rejuvenation process by gently removing the dead skin cells & build up while simultaneously improving the skin texture to leave your skin feeling smooth, supple and glowing.
- Epi-Cleanse Peel: Designed to rapidly improve the texture and tone of your skin, our Medi-Aesthetic face peels are tailored to the individual and offer measurable results in the improvement of acne. Active peel ingredients penetrate the skin and clean out congestion as well as regulate oil secretion. Our experts recommend fortnightly to monthly treatments depending on your needs.
- LED Blue Light Therapy: Our blue LED Light Therapy works effectively to target and improve inflammatory acne, by eliminating acne-causing bacteria that lives on the skin.
- Micro-needling: Micro-needling is another great treatment for reducing the appearance of acne scars. By using tiny needles to the treatment allows the active ingredients from your acne-fighting skincare or meso serum to deliver to the deeper layers of your skin.
Acne is a personal skin concern that many people – teenagers and adults – deal with daily and there isn’t a one-treatment-wonder that works for everyone. It’s always best to book in for a free consultation and our experts can take a look and recommend a plan that’s tailored to you. Book a free consultation here.